Thursday 10 November 2016

Task 2a Reflective Practice

Task 2a consists of writing a journal everyday, when initally looking at this I thought SIMPLE, during college we were asked to critique our days and write regular journals. However in a college learning environment I realise now this is completely different to an employment environment. I find it easy to write a journal when constantly learning things however on a day to day basis I have found it harder to work out what I have learnt behind the hidden day activities.

My usual process for writing a journal is the usual standard questions, after reading David Boud's article I feel I already use the concept of how he feels reflective writing should be approached:
What happened? (returning to experience)
What did I feel? (attending to feelings)
What went well? (revealuation of experience)
What could have gone better?
What will I change for next time?

The journal process for myself will develop as I progress through tasks 2 of the module. Although it may make no sense to another reader, a personal log is something only I have to understand and this way only I can be offended if I am the only reader.
In the article by David Boud there is a section about the reader and I found this very interesting.... A reader of the journal will change the way we write one. For example if one of my team members were to read my journal I would want there to be as much posotives as negatives, if I was writing a journal of my day if I was a teacher I would want to appear a strong minded person rather than a weak as for this career it would look better when management staff read it.

When we had the session with Paula we tried to think of one experience we could evaluate and this is the one I am going to use to show the usual process of how I would go about writing a journal. 

I am going to write the experience below as a public log, meaning I have to evaluate if I am offending anyone by writing it and ensuring no names are mentioned other than my own. I think when writing a log it is better to do it in the first person (I, Me, We)

At Nidd Hall (my workplace) we give out feedback forms to guests so they can write their comments about a break...

What Happened?- This morning I received a feedback form with some negative comments about the show we performed last night. The guest stated that they thought it was a poor standard of show and they didn't enjoy the collection of songs included.
What did I feel?- As a dance captain this hit me hard as I am mostly responsible for the standards of the shows we perform, however I am not responsible for the content. As a team we felt we had lack of performance and I have to ask why? I question did I hold enough rehearsals? the answer to that being no, I feel responsible that the team felt they didnt have enough practice time.
Why did it Happen?- This is definitely because christmas break is coming up and we are focusing more on that when we should be focusing on all shows not just the new upcoming one.
What can we do better?- Everybody has a video of the show of how it should be and I feel this hadnt been watched enough in everyones own time.
What can not be helped?- Despite all this the content of the show is a comment we cannot change and this is very much a personal opinion of the guest. A show is set and we are taught it all one way, the songs and content cannot be changed and is something that is loved or hated.
What went well?- Costumes for the show and props for the show were immaculate and I believe if this wasn't the case we would have received a lot more negative feedback. Also the team stayed motivated throughout the whole process and we weren't put off by people walking out. This is something to hold onto- a posotive spirit when performing! Worry was not shown in our faces and we smiled our way through even though we know it wasn't going to well. I think this is a professional approach from everyone and I respect the way the team dealt with the bad situation.
What will we do for next time?- I will personally make sure shows are well rehearsed and focus does not slip from older shows, I also will make sure everyone knows the importance of practicing in their own time. I will also try to schedule the show more often so we can receive posotive feedback form guests and the word is spread of our fantastic shows! .

Writing one of these for a negative event is a big learning experience on my behalf but also if something posotive it is important to write about this so I can hold onto the good parts of my job  that go reallt well aswell as the bad parts. I already feel much better having evaluated this bad experience and feel it will only help me for the future breaks coming up when we are to perform this show again.

3 comments:

  1. like the questions you ask yourself alice, really helpful for me and my journal :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point about how we are not always noticing learning when in the middle of your day to day activity. That skill of being able to critically reflect on your activity is part of the skills we are hoping you start to develop in Module One and continue to use throughout the course. Reflection - writing reflection -however you capture it is way to 'notice'. Throughout the course e are thinking learning, research, art, and developing practice all involve quite reflective noticing.
    Great work
    Adesola

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you use questions to brake down what you want to say Alice. I found that having a couple of 'set' questions really helps when you are finding it hard to write about something/ expressing yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete