Monday 13 March 2017

Literature 1 - Task 4c

 Task 4d requires us to find out some literature and review it according to the topic we have chosen to research more about.....

The first piece of literature  I want to talk about that I found whilst researching into adult learning was 'The cone of Learning' the article I read includes the history of the cone of learning to how we see it today and why it is perhaps misconceived......I printed it off and annotated what I thought were relevant points to my studies of how we the learning process changes as we age.The literature has also pointed me in the direction of some other interesting sources I wish to have a read of.

Before reading this article I had heard of the 'cone of learning' or the 'pyramid of learning' and I thought what an amazing image to show that maybe we all learn the same even as we age. The article has completely changed my opinion and created an argument in my head as to whether it is the same at all has certainly proved that not all the numbers are 100 percent accurate. It's opened my mind to explore whether we should be even using the image now to visually show our learning retention. When I realised how the current image we see today has been misconstrued from previous images by 'Edgar Dale' I can see how we were originally supposed to understand the image as 'The Cone of Experience'  As the piece of writing states there is actually 'no conclusive evidence to back up the average retention rates' down the side of the new image produced by others since 'Edgar Dale's' first image. Instead as stated in the article 'Dale did not value one mode over another, but argued for a wide variety of modes depending on context'

I believe the article is very relevant to my inquiry as I was going to use the image as a big piece of evidence to show that maybe all ages through learning do have a large connection. This literature questions it may not! I can still use this visual representation but need to remember to try and find proven information when doing my inquiry

Shown below is the link to the article

http://acrlog.org/tag/learning-theories/

No comments:

Post a Comment