Monday 27 February 2017

Developping Lines of Inquiry/ Task 4a

Sorry for the delay in this blog post!!

The skype chat we had with Paula confirmed what most of my ideas were for starting module 2. We talked about lots of interesting points and I have attached my note sheets into this blog post for anyone who missed the session. 

One of the main questions most people had was about the Special interest group. How do we set it up etc? Who do I include?
- Paula explained that this group didnt necessarily have to be just people on the BAPP course, it could extend out to the workplace. 
- The main idea of these SIG groups are to have discussions and blog feedback on these discussions. 
- Paula also reminded us that the SIG could challenge our ideas and thoughts or ask more questions that you don't necessarily know the answers to. 
- Module 2 you are practicing your research with your SIG not REAL practictioners
When I open my community up and decide what topic to focus on I will be blogging my thoughts and information. 

Another topic we covered was looking at sources and our preparation for our topics of inquiry. 
- The big tip is to Relate to what you do OR What you want to do!
- the four main questions Paula told us to think about when preparing is 
- WHAT DO WE KNOW?, WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO FIND OUT? WHAT ARE THE ASSUMPTIONS? (STEREOTYPES)
- Another thing we have to remember is Our research is more exploratory rather than scientific, we are not trying to prove anything we are just trying to build our knowledge. 

For me I am going to blog these questions to help build upon my original ideas in my previous blog post.....

What Do I Know? 
- I am a dancer working in the industry but want to move onto teaching in primary schools. 
- I have worked in a school for a week to show me what it is really like
- I may struggle doing an inquiry based around teaching as I am not working full time in that field

What Do I Want to Find Out?
- How performing arts can influence children of a younger age?
- How my skills as a performer can benefit me in the teaching world?
- Can I suceed as well as a teacher who went through the University lead route?
- What personal skills can be taken from someone of a performance background?

What Are the Assumptions?
- Performing arts is a drop out subject!
- Performing arts students are not very educational!
- Children don't learn anything from jumping around and dancing?

Answering these questions has really helped show me that my interest is definitely in the teaching field, but its how I can adapt these questions into my current practice as I feel I may struggle moving away from my current practice too early. Therefore I have adapted the question a little more to see if this would make my inquiry any easier....

What do I want to find out about my current practice?
- What are the differences when teaching a vocalist to a dancer? How do their minds function differently?
-should my practice( performing arts) be provided earlier in education?
- are the assumptions that dancers are non educational correct? 
- What skills do I have in my current practice that may influence my teaching?
- Is a performer adaptable to work in what we call a 'normal' job?

I'm still very confused as to where my lines of inquiry are taking me but only due to the fact I am not currently working full time in a school? The position I am in with my job at the moment is very unstable and I am worried if I undertake an inquiry at my current practice that I wont be here in time to complete it when coming to Module 3.... This is something I am going to talk to my tutor about in a 1-1. 

I hope anyone who missed the session has found this helpful and please feel free to comment on your thoughts or with any other questions!




4 comments:

  1. Hi Alice!
    really enjoyed reading your blog, i feel i am in the same boat as you! alot of the questions i have a leaning towards to teaching sector but i am still performing right now, so i may not be able to complete my inquiry as i dont have anyone i could discuss in depth with! yet i am surrounded by performers, this has made me re-think perhaps i should do my inquiry on what i am doing now and try and link it to what i want to end up doing in the future!
    I shall join your SIG group and hope we can help each other become a little less confused!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sounds a great plan! I think finding the right people is hard when you want to do an inquiry taking you away from your current work place

      Delete
  2. please can I join your SIG group Alice. I am currently teaching full time and I performed for 8 years professionally. I have a lot of insite for both lines of work and I think we could benefit from chatting further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That wuld be great! Feel free! The link is on my blog :)

      Delete