Thursday 2 November 2017

Themes- COMMUNICATION

Communication is a theme that comes up across all literature I have reviewed from module 2

In an article by Louis Catron he expresses that students who study theatre can gain skills in oral communication, something that some people get sent on courses to learn. Performers are often perceived to be good at communicating due to being used to talking in situations like auditions or situations on stage. My own experience of developing my communication skills has definitely come from my work experience rather than my performing arts training, I think communication is something you develop as you mature rather a skill that can be taught in training whether that be performance based or not.

When looking at communication as a life skill and a transferable skill across all careers it is important to consider the act of being a good listener too. This became apparent in my interviews with my respondant's, those that really listened to what I asked and absorbed the information before answering gave good responses in the interview. Body language can really interpret how good of a listener someone is too. Performers as a whole are perceived to be good listeners, especially dancers who express choreography through lyrics and singers who listen to the music etc.

When researching communication in the arts and other careers a book by Michael Lopp called 'Managing Humans' appeared where he simply stated 'A good conversation is a bunch of words elegantly connected with listening'

When working in the school the other week I really noticed that teacher's are some of the best listeners, this is because communication is a huge part of their job role both with staff and pupils.
Therefore when considering communication as a skill I would say that communication isn't due to having performance experience but is developed across all types of occupations.




No comments:

Post a Comment